- Academic Scholar and Lecturer
Department of Music Studies
University of Ioannina, Greece
info [at] ordoulidis.gr / https://music.uoi.gr/en
- 2012: PhD in Music, in the fields of popular musicology and ethnomusicology. University of Leeds, School of Music
Thesis title: The Recording Career of Vasilis Tsitsanis (1936-1983). An Analysis of his Music and the Problems of Research into Greek Popular Music (http://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3230/).
- 2008: MMus in Music Performance, University of Leeds, School of Music
- 2005: Bachelor’s degree, Department of Music Science and Art, University of Macedonia.
Monographs, Articles and Conference Proceedings (peer reviewed)
- Ordoulidis, N. (2023). Synthesizers in Eastward Rock and Pop of the 1970s–80s. Création musicale et électrification sonore en Méditerranée, XXe-XXIe siècle, CEDEJ, Revue Egypte Soudan Mondes Arabes (ESMA) [pending publication].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2023). The Piano in Greek Popular Orchestras of the Early 20th Century. An Overview of the Material. In Popular Music of the Greek World. British School at Athens [in print].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2023). The term “Vlach” in Historical Discography. Conference Proceedings: “The Vlachs of Greece - Identities and Diversities in Place and in Time”. Scientific Association for the Study of Vlach Culture [in Greek, pending publication].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2023). Musical Palimpsests: Greek-Jewish Historical Discography. In E. Emery (Ed.), The SOAS Rebetiko Reader. London: Red Notes [online at www.geocities.ws/soasrebetikoreader/].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2022). Eastward Heterotopias of the Piano. In P. Vouvaris, P. Kardamis, G. Kitsios, E. Spyrakou, I. Stainhaouer, & I. Foulias (Ed.), Proceedings of the 12th Conference of the Hellenic Musicological Society (pp. 741-760). Thessaloniki: Hellenic Musicological Society [in Greek; English translation: https://bit.ly/43ANvzW].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2022). The “ecumene” of the Greek estudiantinas. In M. Polatel, & N. Kosukoğlu (Ed.), Izmir and the Region: Hundred Years of Social, Economic and Cultural Change, 1850 - 1950 (Conference proceedings) (pp. 95-106). Hrant Dink Foundation [in Turkish: https://bit.ly/3VTIRJS].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2021). 1911: Estudiantina Oriental on the Road. "Musiques grecques en représentation (xixe et xxe siècles)", Bulletin de correspondance hellénique moderne et contemporain(5). https://journals.openedition.org/bchmc/949.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2021). The Peregrinations of a Princess... Urban Popular Music of the 20th Century in the Network of Eastern Europe, the Balkans and the South-Eastern Mediterranean. Recorded Sound Collections Journal, 2, pp. 249–282.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2021). Musical Nationalism, Despotism and Scholarly Interventions in Greek Popular Music. New York. Bloomsbury Academic (https://bit.ly/3LXn1Ra).
- Ordoulidis, N. (2021). Athens: Tatavliano / New York: Beykos. In K. Chardas, G. Sakalieros, & I. Foulias (Ed.), Proceedings of the 11th Conference of the Hellenic Musicological Society (pp. 418–423). Hellenic Musicological Society [in Greek: https://bit.ly/42K8Aqg].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2020). The Princess' Wandering. In G. Kokkonis, & S. Koziou (Ed.), Proceedings of the 7th panhellenic conference (18-20 October 2019) (pp. 185-203). Centre for Historical and Folklore Research “O Apollon” Karditsa - University of Ioannina, Department of Music Studies [in Greek: https://bit.ly/44S2qGD].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2019). Approbations and Rejections in the Arrangements of the Rebetiko Songs of the Album “Six Popular Pictures”. Round table: High-Status and Popular Intertexts in Modern Greek Music. Case study: “Six popular pictures” by Manos Hadjidakis. In Chardas, Vouvaris, Kardamis, Sakallieros & Foulias (Ed.), Effects and Interactions (pp. 668-678). Thessaloniki: The Hellenic Musicological Society [in Greek: https://bit.ly/42K9hQo].
- Zoubouli, M., & Ordoulidis, N. (2018). “For the Craftsman, Borrowing is one of their Tools of Originality” (K. Palamas). The Rebetes’ Trial (pp. 45-51). Athens: Department of Popular and Traditional Music and Law School of Athens [in Greek: https://bit.ly/3M2vjXQ].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2015). Urban Popular Music in the Greek Education System: Some Problematic Issues. In Foulias, Vouvaris, Kitsios, & Hardas (Ed.), Music and Musicology. Present and Future (pp. 204-209). Athens: The Hellenic Musicological Society [in Greek: https://bit.ly/3MlEwvW].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). Article of Vasilis Tsitsanis. Grove Music/Oxford Music Online.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2011). The Greek Popular Modes. British Postgraduate Musicology, 11. http://britishpostgraduatemusicology.org/bpm11/ordoulidis_the_greek_popular_modes.pdf
Monographs, Book Chapters, and other forms (not peer reviewed)
- Kounadis, L., and Ordoulidis, N. (2022). “Cosmopolitanism in Greek Historical Discography”. Kounadis Archive Virtual Museum: https://vmrebetiko.gr/en/cosmopolitanism-en/.
- Ordoulidis, N. (2020). The Missing Pieces to the Puzzle that is Thessaloniki: The Alberto Nar Recordings Archive. In L. Nar (Ed.), Remember: Holocaust Survivors Sing Sephardic Songs (pp. 8-24). Ianos (https://bit.ly/3UHHTja).
- Ordoulidis, N. (2018). The Eastern Piano Project - The Rebetiko Era. Pringipessa [in Greek: https://bit.ly/3VVpEaT].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2018). Reaffirming the popular. In E. Ntourou, & P. Frountzos, Vassilis Tsitsanis, Tis gerakinas gios (pp. 6-11). Hot Doc [in Greek: https://bit.ly/42NxPs2].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2017). Cloudy Sunday and the Akathist Hymn – A Mirroring or a Reflection? Athens: Fagottobooks [in Greek: https://bit.ly/3nYjLgv].
- Ordoulidis, N. (2014). The Recording Career of Vasílis Tsitsánis (1936-1983). An Analysis of his Music and the Problems of Research into Greek Popular Music. Athens: Ianos [PhD thesis translation in Greek, https://etheses.whiterose.ac.uk/3230/].
Composition / Discography / Performance
Eastward Piano: www.eastward-piano.com
- 2022: Ordoulidis, N. (composer), new works commissioned by pianist Alex Peh (SUNY New Paltz, New York), performed on June 18 at National Sawdust, New York (“Piece of Minds”, “Serving”).
- 2021: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist), 6th personal CD album: ‘X–Terra / The Eastern Piano Project’ (https://bit.ly/3I53U6I).
- 2017: Ordoulidis, N. (director), Orchestra Workshop, Department of Popular and Traditional Music, Technological Educational Institute of Epirus (https://bit.ly/32YuoFu)
- 2015: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist), 5th personal CD album: ‘The Eastern Piano Project – The Rebetiko Era’ (https://bit.ly/41xNbzR).
- 2014: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist), Music written for the short film ‘Alone’ (https://bit.ly/42wUQ2s).
- 2014: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist), American’s Odyssey Ϡ a short music film (https://youtu.be/YaYsD4yHExk).
- 2013: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist), Musical-drama reading ‘Saint Ignatius the Godbearer’. Work for three soloists, Byzantine choir and piano (https://bit.ly/42wVf4Y).
- 2009: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist, singer), 4th personal CD album: ‘Lyrical horizons, 10 popular songs for piano & voice’ (https://bit.ly/3BluK6E).
- 2007: Ordoulidis, N. (composer, pianist, singer), 3rd personal CD album: ‘Flower scent’ (https://bit.ly/3VZAEDV).
- 2006: Ordoulidis, Ν. (composer, pianist, singer), 1st personal CD album: ‘Two faced dream’ (https://bit.ly/3nTmyr9).
- 2006: Ordoulidis, N. (composer), 2nd personal CD album: ‘Peace by Aristophanes’. Work for symphonic orchestra and children choir (https://bit.ly/42QcsX2).
- 2005: Ordoulidis, Ν. (composer), 1st prize ‘Choir composition’. Wok ‘Kyrie Eleison’ for SATB choir and orchestra. 3rd International Competition of Volos.